Father’s Day 2021: Father’s Day is a day dedicated to honoring fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the role fathers play in society. It is observed on the third Sunday in June.
Father’s Day is observed on the third Sunday in June in most parts of the world. It is observed on June 20 this year. It is a day to honor fatherhood, paternal bonds, and the role fathers play in society.
This day, which was first proposed in 1909, is an opportunity to show your father how much he means to you and the role he has played in shaping your life.
Significance of Father’s Day
Father’s Day recognizes and honors fathers’ contributions to their families and society at large. On this day, children can honor their fathers and father figures, as well as anyone else who has played a significant role in their lives. It could be an emotional, mental, or financial issue.
It is the day when one realizes the significance of a father’s role in one’s life. Children buy or make gifts, as well as write and draw cards, to express their love for their fathers or father-like figures. Some people also spend the day doing things that they can do with their father, such as hiking, fishing, camping, shopping, art and craft, or just sitting around watching TV. In India, most children have a stronger bond with their mothers, so this day provides an excellent opportunity for people to strengthen their bonds with their fathers.
Sonora Smart Dodd established Father’s Day in the United States. Sonora’s father was Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart, an Arkansas single parent who raised six children selflessly. Sonora had heard about Anna Jarvis’s Mother’s Day, which she had created in memory of her mother.
As a result, she suggested to her pastor that something similar be done to honor fathers. On the occasion of her father’s birthday, June 5, she wanted to honor and recognize the role of fathers and all father-like figures. The petition was initially rejected by the church, but Sonora eventually persuaded people to sign it.
Therefore, the date was pushed, and the celebration was eventually deferred to the third Sunday of June.
Date of Father’s Day 2021
In the United States, Father’s Day is observed on the third Sunday in June. While India celebrates Father’s Day on March 19, many other countries, including Portugal, Spain, Croatia, and Italy, do so on March 19. Father’s Day celebrations have gained a lot of popularity in India and other parts of the world, despite the fact that it is primarily a western tradition.
Father’s Day by the numbers
Before you go celebrate, here are a few fun numbers that describe the holiday.
In 1966, President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaimed that the third Sunday in June would be officially known as Father’s Day, saying that we look to fathers to “provide the strength and stability which characterize the successful family.” In 1972, President Nixon made the day a national holiday.
There are 121 million men over the age of 15 in the United States, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Among them, 75 million are fathers to biological, step or adopted children. That’s about six in 10 men. Most of them, around 61%, became dads in their 20s. Another 20% became dads between the ages of 30 and 34.
Father’s Day is the fourth largest holiday for sending cards in the U.S., behind Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day and Christmas, according to Hallmark. According to the greeting card company, 72 million Father’s Day cards are purchased each year. About a quarter of them are considered “humor” cards, which is a nice segue into another dad joke: Two guys walked into a bar. The third guy ducked. You’re welcome.
The percent of fathers who are stay-at-home dads is slowly rising. In 1989, about 4% of fathers were at home. By 2016, that number had risen to 7%, according to the Pew Research Center. Meanwhile the share of mothers at home has remained relatively stable, at around 27%. In general, dads are more involved in childcare now than they were 50 years ago. In 1965, fathers reported that they spent about 2.5 hours per week caring for children. But in 2016, that number had jumped to eight hours.
Of the 35 million fathers with children under 18, 1.7 million of them are single dads, in that they are living with a child with no spouse or partner present, according to the Census. In total, 46% of dads have children under 18, the rest have adult children, and about one in four are grandfathers.
Wishes for Father’s Day 2021
- There’s no possible way I could pay you back for all that you have done for me growing up, but I greatly appreciate all your hard work raising me. I wouldn’t be who I am today without you. Happy Father’s Day, Dad!
- It’s that time of year again when everyone tries to tell themselves that they had the best dad in the world. I really did have the best dad in the world, so they can’t be right. Happy Father’s Day, Superhero!
- Thank you for being there every day with just the love and guidance I’ve needed. Everything you’ve taught me has stuck with me and I’m lucky to have a dad like you. Lots of love Dad!
- You will never go out of style. Happy Father’s day to the coolest dad ever.
- You’re my one and only dad, and I’ll always have a special place in my heart for you. Happy Father’s Day!
- Happy Father’s Day! You’re not just my father, but one of my closest friends.
- Dad, you are my hero and my role model. Thanks for being here for me and being a great example. I love you always!
- Even though Father’s Day comes once a year, I hope you know I’m grateful, And my heart is truly glad, That today and every single day, I have you as my Dad. Happy Father’s Day!
- Happy Father’s Day with love from your favorite kid. (Don’t worry—I won’t tell if you won’t.
- Sending you a heartfelt appreciation for Father’s Day. It’s the least I can do considering all the grey hairs I’ve caused you.
More wishes for the day
- May you have a healthy, happy, and peaceful day, dad. Happy Father’s Day!
- There’s no one like you. Happy Father’s Day!
- Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers who are patient, loving, dedicated, hard-working, generous, and funny.
- Thank you for all the love you shower upon us. Your company is cherished and special.
- You are my superhero, my best friend, and my troubleshooter! Happy Father’s Day.
- The greatest gift I ever had came from God. I call him Father, can’t thank you enough… You’ve given me a joyful life filled with abundant love. Happy Father’s Day Dad
- Dear father, you have provided me with everything in my life. You have given me great values to be a good human being. You have provided me with a good platform to establish myself in society. I would not be this good without you. Happy Father’s day!
- You are an ordinary man to society but my superhero. You have seen yourself as an adventurous man, a soft-hearted man, a great storyteller, a bad singer, a dancer, a good cook, a good monetary manager, and many more roles. Happy Father’s day!
- To my dad who taught me the game of life and how to play it right. To my father, who has always been there for me and guided me to find happiness in life. Happy father’s day, daddy!
Messages for Father’s Day 2021
- Only a lucky child like me gets a father like you. Thanks for making me feel this way. Happy Father’s Day, dear dad!
- Thank you for always being the shield that protects our family from sorrow and despair. We feel so blessed that we have such a wonderful father. Happy Father’s Day!
- Happy Father’s Day to you, Dad! Thank you for always taking up my side in any argument and saving me from mom’s scolds till now! Love you!
- Thanks to every father in the world for making this world a better place for us. Happy Father’s Day!
- Happy Father’s day to you, Dad! Thank you for always taking up my side in any argument and saving me from mom’s scolds till now! Love you!
- Thanks for making all the sacrifices silently and working hard just to get us a better life! I love you, happy fathers day dad!
Happy Father’s Day 2021: Quotes
- “What makes you a man is not the ability to have a child — it’s the courage to raise one.” ― Barack Obama
- “No man stands taller than when he stoops to help a child.” — Abraham Lincoln
- “Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero.” — Fred Rogers
- “A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society.” — Billy Graham
- “It is a wise father that knows his own child.” —William Shakespeare
- “One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.” —George Herbert
- “A girl’s first true love is her father.” —Marisol Santiago
- A father doesn’t tell you that he loves you. He shows you.” —Dimitri the Stoneheart
- “My father used to say that it’s never too late to do anything you wanted to do. And he said, ‘You never know what you can accomplish until you try.’ -Michael Jordan
- “Fathers just have a way of putting everything together.” —Erika Cosby
- “The older I get, the smarter my father seems to get.” —Tim Russert
- “No music is as pleasant to my ears as that word―father.” —Lydia Maria Child
- “Fathers, be good to your daughters. You are the god and the weight of her world.” —John Mayer
- “When my father didn’t have my hand, he had my back.” —Linda Poindexter
- “I think a father is someone, Who loves unconditionally, There is no perfect formula, Who a father can be.” —Julie Hebert
More quotes for the day
- “How pleasant it is for a father to sit at his child’s board. It is like an aged man reclining under the shadow of an oak which he has planted.” —Walter Scott
- “Father, Dad, Papa, no matter what you call them, they influence our lives and they are the ones we look up to.” —Catherine Pulsifer
- “My father, he was like the rock, the guy you went to with every problem.” —Gwyneth Paltrow
- “I am not ashamed to say that no man I ever met was my father’s equal, and I never loved any other man as much.” —Hedy Lamarr
- “I would define a leader as a person who puts the welfare of the group above himself. It’s the same thing with fathers.” —Etan Thomas, Fatherhood: Rising to the Ultimate Challenge.
- “Being a father, being a friend, those are the things that make me feel successful.” —William Hurt
- “Part of the reason that Lombardi’s players were willing to work with him was that he nurtured and cared for them like a father. When Lombardi succeeded, so did they.” —Donald T. Phillips, Run to Win: Vince Lombardi on Coaching and Leadership
- “To be a father requires patience, love and giving up the ‘all about me’ attitude.” —Catherine Pulsifer
- “The most important influence in my childhood was my father.” —DeForest Kelley
Quotes for Father’s Day 2021
- “There’s sometimes a weird benefit to having an alcoholic, violent father. He really motivated me in that I never wanted to be anything like him.” —Dean Koontz
- “I inherited that calm from my father, who was a farmer. You sow, you wait for good or bad weather, you harvest, but working is something you always need to do.” —Miguel Indurain
- “I encourage all fathers to focus on the intangibles because those are the gifts that make the difference.” —Asha Patrick, introduction to the book, Fatherhood
- “Part of being a successful father is taking extreme care of our children. The other part of that equation is that we must also take extreme care of their mother.” —Nate Dallas, Hacking Fatherhood: Preparing For Success in the Biggest Role of Your Life
- “You may not have an earthly father that cares for you, but you have a heavenly one that does.” —Angelina Talpa, Love Yourself
- “Fathers provide not only support but also encouragement.” —Catherine Pulsifer
(Source: Times of India)
Leave a Reply